Monday, December 31, 2012

2012

Back in January, I think I declared 2012 the Year of Hospitality, hoping that for once, I might dictate the upcoming year's theme myself, rather than learning it on the back end, directly from the Author of all my years.

As if.

Around the mid-year mark, the Lord began to reveal a very different theme for the year, and it had nothing to do with hospitality: the Year of Emptying. I may share more on that later, but it was, in fact, frustrating, puzzling, and painful at times.

Frankly, the end of the Year of Emptying could not come soon enough.

So at this moment, it is 2013 in New York, and my friends and I just rang in the new year, as if we were one time zone further east.

We deserve the hour head start, I think.

And we celebrated the answered prayers, revisited the giggle-worthy moments, and dreamed about what 2013 might look like.

As has become my tradition -- no matter the year's theme -- here are 2012's superlatives:

favorite book 
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

most challenging book
The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy and Kathy Keller

most memorable celebration

favorite new recipe

favorite movies
The Grey
Lincoln
Les Miserables

favorite chill trip
Blue Ridge, Georgia, with Nikol and Kels

most painful moment
The ankle roll (and subsequent ten weeks of healing) on a Jemison Trail run

biggest disappointment
Accepting that the 13.1 I'd planned to run wasn't happening (see above)

proudest (only?) craft moment 

spent my birthday
With Dad in Birmingham

most hilarious moment
Unable to contain inappropriate giggling with Nikol, during a particularly unfortunate performance at a high school show choir dessert cabaret

most pleasant surprise
Alabama Furniture Market

cherished family trip
Cincinnati, to celebrate Haleigh's high school graduation

biggest purchase
My new little house

most rabid organization project
Rearranging my living room furniture

favorite new iPhone apps
My Fitness Pal
Map My Run

favorite new beverage
Publix Diet Green Tea

best quick trip
Wilmington, Delaware, to see Little Man

biggest stretch
Leading a Disciple Now weekend for youth I'd never met

marked off the bucket list
NCAA Football National Championship Game

favorite new song, and embarrassed to admit it (yes, I watch Nashville)
“No One Will Ever Love You” by Connie Britton and Charles Esten

I do love to reminisce, but a fresh clean slate is always welcome.

Happy New Year, folks. Cheers to 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment