Monday, December 17, 2012

sing we now of christmas, the 2012 edition

There is a radio station here in Birmingham that cranks up their Christmas music on November 1st. That really chaps me.

On the other hand, after Thanksgiving when I'm ready to belt out the holiday tunes, the radio stations I endure the most around here (but just barely) don't exactly play my favorites.

They will not steal my joy.

So I make my annual Christmas album purchase; download some other newbies that come recommended from trusted, music-loving people in my life (Deana, I snagged yours from last year); and get about the business of settling into the Christmas spirit.

Without further ado, here is my annual recommended listening list, always intended to supplement, not to replace or stand alone.  There are too many great ones out there to be exclusive!

the only album fully endorsed in 2012:


I bought a particular country artist's holiday album a few years ago on a sale rack, and it was a disaster. I think I threw it away. But, I do love Lady Antebellum's sound, so I gave this one a shot, and I'm glad I did.

If you're hesitant to commit to the entire album, try "All I Want for Christmas is You," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and "Silver Bells." Their title track is the only original song, and it's worth hearing, too.

the two Christmas songs i can't stop listening to, even when it's not Christmas:

"You Came Down" - Jill Phillips and Andy Gullahorn
"Winter Snow" - Chris Tomlin with Audrey Assad

I wonder if I will ever leave these two off my annual list. There aren't words to express my love for these two songs.

the novelty album born out of one of my favorite tv competitions:


Pentatonix is the a cappella ensemble that won the Sing-Off last year. The arrangements are borderline wacky at times, but the vocal quality is undeniable.

a couple of secular picks, because i'm not above it:

"All I Want for Christmas" - Michael Bublé
"Winter Song" - Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson

two "silent night" arrangements i particularly love this year:

Michael Bublé (brings back fond memories from this little jaunt)
Sarah McLachlan

Do you have any new favorites this year?  Let me hear them!  Eight more days ...

No comments:

Post a Comment