Friday, December 31, 2010

2010

My friend and I recently discussed how our years are thematic in nature.  She is fortunate, in that she has, of late, been notified by God on the front end of her year, as to what will be her year’s theme.  I, on the other hand, live the great mystery of discovering my year’s theme on the back end, in retrospect.

For example, at the beginning of 2010, Nikol was enlightened that her upcoming year would be the Year of Abundance.  And it was!  It was an exciting year to spend with a friend in her Year of Abundance.

As another (harshly contrasting) example, at the end of 2009, it was confirmed that mine had been the Year of Adult Conversations.  Over the previous twelve months, several uncomfortable conversations were necessary, all of which evoked this it’s-hard-being-an-adult-sometimes sentiment.  It was a growing year.

2010 has been the Year of Brokenness for me.  It sounds dramatic, and it really wasn’t as awful as it sounds.  There was a litany of physical ailments that simply had me pinned.  I was in a position where I had no choice but to slow down, begin some serious self-evaluating, and peel away some layers.  Know what I mean?

Despite the theme, though, there are highlights to be documented.

So, here we go.  2010, in review:

favorite books (it’s been a non-fiction kind of year)
The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose
Choosing Civility by P.M. Forni

favorite new snack food
Tostitos Roasted Garlic and Black Bean Tortilla Chips

favorite new recipe
Herbed Fusilli

favorite movie
Tangled

best new travel destination
Kauai, Hawaii

best quick trip
Nashville with Deana

most challenging Bible verse
Colossians 3:17

marked off the bucket list
Learned to water ski (mostly)

proudest craft moment 
Jewelry board

spent my birthday
In Ft. Lauderdale with the whole fam

most hilarious moment
Being locked out of Lil’s beach condo in the middle of the night

most pleasant surprise
Having three Saturdays off this fall

new techno gadget
A netbook, from Mom and Dad as a birthday gift

favorite new iPhone app
Words with Friends (yes, I know I’m a year behind everyone else)

favorite new song
“Different Kinds of Happy” by Sara Groves

2010 was a good year.  Plenty more I'm sure I'm leaving out!

What about you?  What are your 2010 superlatives?

No comments:

Post a Comment