Tuesday, December 11, 2012

o christmas tree

"I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love."
-- Linus Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas


I was behind this year, where decking my halls was concerned. Per usual, I had my traditional musings.

Why, oh why, have I not yet purchased a pre-lit tree? (Because I never want to the spend the money after Christmas, when they all go on sale.)

Oh, I do love this nativity!

Is this really worth it, so that I might enjoy pretty lights for two measly weeks?

And since decking in a new house, there were some new considerations.

This front porch is worthy of something special.

How am I going to hang this garland on the brick without drilling my house to pieces?

Where can I borrow a ladder to hang the perfect wreath in that perfect spot?

I need to learn how to tie a magnificent bow for my magnificent mailbox.

My 6-foot tree that I've had since the beginning of time looks puny here. I think I need a taller one.

And the road blocks. I don't even have a lot of decorations, but mercy.

There were the tree lights that tested perfectly, and then promptly failed me, once strung on my tree.

There were the four stores that were out of white Christmas lights at 10:00 p.m. on Friday night.

There were the special "brick clips" that the Lowe's staff insisted would work for my garland, but in fact did not.

There was the burlap wired ribbon that neither my sharpest scissors nor utility knife could cut.

It would be great for one thing to go as planned.

Everyone close to me heard me moan about one thing or another in this decking process.

One friend came to my house to offer his suggestion on hanging the garland on the brick.

Mom consoled me, It doesn't have to be perfect this year. There's always next year.

Nikol asked me, Have you let that garland vision go yet? You need to.

In the end, all is fine and well.

I did regretfully put to death the garland-on-my-brick-archway vision. It's now happily (and securely) perched on my front door instead.

I did buy the last five boxes of white lights in an obscure Walgreen's, the apparent savior of the decorating world. And they did all work, when wrapped around my tree.

I kept my small tree for one more year and vowed again to purchase a taller, pre-lit tree after Christmas (but probably won't).

I threw out the burlap wired ribbon that gave me anxiety and safely put down the utility knife.

And my lighted garland and sweet Christmas tree stay lit around the clock, because even when I'm not there, burning the electricity in the name of the operational Christmas lights that I scoured my entire city for, makes me feel better about it all.

So there.  I win.

I'm decked!

1 comment:

  1. And I'm EVER SO SORRY that mine wasn't an all-white lights tree. No, I'm not being the ever-apologetic me. I'm just sayin'. Love you!

    ReplyDelete