Monday, May 28, 2012

stray photo album

When I'm on the organizational ball, I keep photo albums updated with prints from my trips, outings, family gatherings, etc.

When I'm not on the organizational ball, photos -- if they're even printed -- tend to stack up into piles with no home.

Also, since I moved, I've realized that framed photos can get out of hand if one is not careful.  I love to share photos, but there are only so many frames that my occasion tables and wall space can hold, until a creepy family shrine begins to develop.

Needless to say, I haven't been on the photo organizational ball lately, and for weeks I've been racking my brain on how to display some prints temporarily, until they find their permanent home in an album.

I am proud to say that thirteen months after my last craft, I have this DIY solution to share!

I had some inspiration from Etsy or Pinterest, which I can't even find anymore to give props, so it's irrelevant at this point.  But the real inspiration came when I saw the $75 price tag (?!), and I knew there was a cheaper option.

I just needed to figure how to execute sans sewing machine.

My version started with this framed cork board from Home Goods, a half a yard of canvas, and some decorative nails.



It eventually got a canvas coat (you could use whatever method to make that happen, but I confess I needed the help of a butter knife to get those edges tucked under the frame), pinned on by the decorative nails ...



Then I cut some canvas strips to serve as pockets, two taller ones for vertical snapshots, and one shorter one for horizontals, and pinned the bottom of each of those ...



And then I popped in some of my stray photos and hung him right up in my kitchen.



I'm pleased (except for that chipped corner that needs attention).

It keeps my fridge clear of photos that don't seem to be frame-worthy, but just end up junking up an otherwise clean surface.



It buys me time to get these photos into an album.



And if they'd like, guests can flip through some recent pics at their leisure.

Or not!  No one is forced to see incessant amounts of family and friends of Robyn if they'd rather not.

A solid (and much cheaper) success, I'd say, and a satisfying ending to a perfect holiday weekend.

What are your fixes for stray photos?

No comments:

Post a Comment