Thursday, December 20, 2012

thankful thursday #109

The Bible study gals and I spent some time tonight at an assisted living facility with some of the residents.

It was a service project organized through my church, and the staff of the facility had invited us to "assist in memory care."

I did not know what that meant (a game of Memory, maybe?), but I was thrilled at the idea of spending time with another generation, and specifically that generation.

Tonight this particular group was crafting. They painted snowflakes made from popsicle sticks, and decorated them with sequins and glitter.

Some were meticulous; others were sloppy. Some of the ladies looked forward to hanging the ornaments on their trees; some of the men thought it was silly and just lingered for the company.

We crafted with them, and asked them about their rooms and their Christmas presents and their families. Mrs. Quinn was probably 85 years old, and she shared that her son had passed away from leukemia when he was five.  That was about ten years ago, she said.

We led them in a few Christmas carols, too. Mr. Bill knew all the words to the songs we sang, and when I complimented his singing, he told me he used to be in a choir. When I asked if he'd like to sing "Away in a Manger," he said no, that the manger was back at the house.

I visited for a long while with Dr. Mac. She was the first female chief resident at UAB, in the department of pathology. I asked her how long she'd been on faculty there, and with confidence she answered, Oh, honey, I'm still on faculty there, and chuckled with pride. She told me her story at least three times.

Obviously we were not there to exercise their minds, or refine their memory skills, and the game of Memory was definitely not on the agenda.

We were there just to be friends to the ones whose memories are fading, but who still need people to engage them, listen to them, and love them.

Tonight I'm thankful I had the opportunity to visit with folks who have lived long and well; whose stories are treasures, waiting to be discovered; and whose hearts are full, waiting to be shared.

What generation can you serve this holiday season?  They'll give you an appreciation you won't soon forget.

Go on, be grateful!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing that Robyn. I hope you're around (or others like you) when it is my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Thankful Thursday. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete