Friday, December 9, 2011

sing we now of christmas, the 2011 edition

Exactly one year ago, I posted my all-time Christmas Music Superlatives.

A few of you tipped me off on some of your faves, and those were fun to go and check out!

This year, there is not a comprehensive album I'm prepared to recommend, or slide in above the current placeholders in my list.  (Although, the two favorites from 2010 might soon earn a permanent spot in that list.)

But!  There are so many great songs I've stumbled on this year!  Although they are not necessarily new, most of them are originals.  They bring a little spice to the endless arrangements of "Little Drummer Boy" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" (two of my least favorites, by the way).

And so I present to you the official listing of my 2011 Christmas Superlatives.  One day I will remember them as ...

the christmas songs that iTunes wore out in 2011

"You Came Down" – Jill Phillips and Andy Gullahorn
"Adorn" – Alli Rogers
"You're Here"  – Francesca Battistelli
"Mary's Prayer" – Allen Levi, Bebo Norman & Ed Cash
"Christ is Come" – Big Daddy Weave
"It's True" – Sara Groves
"Sweet Little Jesus Boy"  – Natalie Grant
"Peace" – Norah Jones
"Winter Snow" – Chris Tomlin with Audrey Assad (can not ever get enough of this one!)

And I expect each of you to leave your favorites too, old or new.  Ready, go.

4 comments:

  1. Earlier this week, I heard one that I had not heard previously. The title is "This Child Is" and it is performed by the Gary Bonner Singers. I have not been able to find a midi file of it online. So, last night when I heard it on the local Christian radio station (again), I grabbed my little memo recorder and recorded it (well, all but about the first 5 seconds of it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drumming this Sunday on "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. Love the combination of the high voice choir with driving beat and Mark Hall's amazing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard this one on a Christmas special last year and I cannot find it anywhere. It's a great one, though. Not sure it's been produced yet.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQUnT3YQnI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canadian Tenors version of "Oh Holy Night"

    ReplyDelete