Friday, December 10, 2010

christmas music superlatives

I adopt what I call "life nuggets" from just about all my friends.  They're the evidences of all the people in my life, the handprints they leave on the way I live.

For example, my pastry chef friend, who I met living in New Orleans, taught me to always pick up a pound of stick butter -- unsalted, so as to not alter the sodium content of a recipe -- if it's on sale at the grocery store, because it will always keep in the freezer.  So I do.

My college roommate buys one new Christmas album every year, and that's become one of my own little traditions, too.

Over the years I've collected some very fun albums, and as we're heading into the height of Christmas party season, I'd like to recommend the following favorites for your listening pleasure.  'Tis the season to share!

best vocal



The man can sing', y'all.  That's just all I have to say about that.

best instrumental



He dated Katie Couric, but let's not hold that against him.  This album is perfect for curling up on the couch with a cup of December Cider.

favorites of 2010



 

Do not miss these cuts:

Dave Barnes' "Christmas Tonight" (with Hillary Scott from Lady Antebellum)

Jill Phillips and Andy Gullahorn's "You Came Down" and "Baby, it's Cold Outside" (hilarious!)

most original



This is one of my new favorite Christmas traditions.  Read details on that here.

old time faves that never get old



They still have my favorite arrangement of "O Holy Night" ever.




1992 was a good year for her.  This is an album I love all the way through, until "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" which, thanks to my buddy Brad Phelps, is my least favorite secular Christmas tune ever.

honorable mention singles

These are ten songs that while I may or may not endorse the entire album, they have frequent playtime on my iTunes during the holidays:

"Winter Snow" – Chris Tomlin, with Audrey Assad
"Some Children See Him" – James Taylor
"Children Go Where I Send Thee" – Natalie Merchant
"River" – Robert Downey, Jr.
"Mistletoe" – Colbie Callait
"We're Not That Far from Bethlehem" – Point of Grace
"In the First Light" – Glad
"Labor of Love" – Jill Phillips (on Andrew Peterson's album)
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" – Francesca Battistelli
"Auld Lang Syne" – Straight No Chaser 

What about you?  What are your favorite Christmas albums, songs, or arrangements?  Your pick might be my purchase next year!

7 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Straight No Chaser. Their 12 Days of Christmas cracks me up every time (you MUST wait till the end to really appreciate it) and Holy Night is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love the 12 Days of Christmas, too, and I'll be sure to check out Holy Night. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love River by RDjr. I also love Natalie Grant's "I Believe." I like to belt it out in the car with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, I almost called you out in this post for leading me in the right way of all things pop music. I'm so glad you commented with a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are you Christmas by Faith Hill
    I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
    Any Christmas tune sung by Michael Buble and Harry Connick Jr.
    Mary, did you know by Mark Lowry and the Gaither Vocal Band
    Peace by Norah Jones
    Merry Christmas Baby by BB King
    A charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi Trio
    Just a kid by Kenny Chesney
    When Christmas comes to town from Polar Express
    Diana Krall CD is good too.
    I will have to try the new ones you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Deana! In particular I want to check out Norah ... iTunes, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a great comment but I forgot it as soon as I saw a song recorded by Robert Downey, Jr. Seriously? Who knew?

    OK. I'll quit playin'...
    1. Martina McBride's "White Christmas" is one of my all-time favorite albums. There ain't a bad song on there.
    2. "Santa Baby" - Eartha Kitt - Don't judge. We all have our cheap side. Some have "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer", or some crazy song by Robert Downey, Jr. I have "Santa Baby."
    3. Nat King Cole's (and ONLY Nat King Cole's) "The Christmas Song." Greatest. Christmas. Song. Ever. It's like butter.
    4. "Oh Come All Yea Faithful" as sung by the audience at any "Behold the Lamb of God" concert. Pure Praise!!
    5. Brandon Heath's "The Night Before Christmas"

    Least favorite Christmas song EVER: Dave Barnes "Holiday Made for Two." :) I have a bone to pick with him.

    ReplyDelete