Wednesday, October 31, 2012

some say boo

Others say moo.


(I wish you could watch him walk from behind, and see his tail swish.)

This morning, my boss lurked in my dark office with a freaky mask on, and jumped in front of me upon my arrival. I screamed and jumped a mile. We all know how well I do with creepers on Halloween.

Between the adorable costumes on toddlers and the scary masks on grown men, I got to thinking about how everyone hides behind some sort of disguise at one time or another.

They're afraid, but wear the mask of bravery.
They're grieving, but wear the mask of stoicism.
They're worried, but wear the mask of confidence.
They're lonely, but wear the mask of busyness.
They're hurting, but wear the mask of wellness.

We all struggle, we all want to hide our imperfections, and we all work hard at creating the perfect costume to accomplish just that.

When that one kid went ravaging through your candy bowl tonight, did you think he was ill-mannered? Or did you think that maybe he doesn't have parents to teach him any better?

When the little girl could barely speak trick or treat, did you assume she wasn't well socialized? Or did you think she could be the one bullied in her class at school?

Did you think that those parents had it all together, with their perfect kids in perfect costumes, with a perfect house down the street? Or did you wonder if maybe they were in the middle of a financial crisis? Or were having tough times in their marriage?

While some Christians are hating on Halloween (someone, explain that to me), it's been a reminder to me that behind the masks, there are stories being written, and hearts that are broken and dirty, just like mine.

And often, the cute little ones?  They just want the good candy.


Happy Halloween, folks.  I hope you got lots of treats!

1 comment:

  1. As always, you capture the “heart” of the matter. God bless you for being so transparent in sharing a little of yourself without the mask.

    ReplyDelete