Tuesday, October 9, 2012

it's finally chili

One of the grossest things I see on a typical game day is hot dog chili.

I do not understand it, but folks love them some chili on their franks, and you know that at a football stadium, that chili is not homemade.

It is straight-up, right-outta-the-can, dog-food-lookin' chili.  And it. Is. Gross.

On a brighter note, I have grown to enjoy homemade chili that's not too runny, not too heavy, and not too spicy, but a solid go-to recipe has eluded me.

Until now!

I've been dying to break out my favorite piece of cookware ...



... and well, the high temperatures have lingered around here.

But last night, I went for a short run in long sleeves (yes, Fall, yes!) and couldn't wait to give this recipe a whirl.  It was super quick, and I have high hopes it will be even better as leftovers.

Simple Turkey Chili

EVOO, a couple of swirls around the pan
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 onion, chopped
1 c. water
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 16-oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 16-oz. can chili beans (mild), drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Chopped red or green onions, for topping
Shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
Sour cream, for topping
  1. Don't be intimidated by the endless list of ingredients.  Most of them are spices you already have in your pantry and need to be used anyway.

  2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Season turkey with salt and pepper, and brown.  Stir in the onion, and cook until tender.

  3. Add water, tomatoes, beans, and garlic.  Stir well, and season with the remaining ingredients.  If you like a thicker chili, take a potato masher, and press the contents a little bit.

  4. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for thirty minutes.

  5. Dress your bowl of fall goodness with toppings that you fancy, and let it cool.  Burned taste buds will not serve you well.
It's finally getting chilly here, people.  It's gonna be a great fall!

1 comment:

  1. While I doubt that I will try the recipe (since I DON'T cook!), I just want to let you know that I had TWO chili slaw dogs last night for supper! :-) <3

    ReplyDelete