Thursday, October 11, 2012

thankful thursday #99

This weekend is my alma mater's Homecoming, which I never get to attend because of my job.  Boo.

But, I have a dear friend -- a fellow native Athenian, in fact! -- through whom I can live vicariously.  She is faithful to come to town for the festivities when she can, and better, her parents come too!  I love that they embrace her college as if it were their own.

Her parents had me into their home a bajillion times when we were kids, and I'm grateful that I get to return the favor tomorrow!  They're all coming over for dessert, and I'm pretty excited to serve up these Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars (why yes, yes they are as tasty as they sound), and brownie sundaes (because I have it on good authority that Cassie's mom loves a good brownie!).

Now, for the 100th Thankful Thursday giveaway!

When I first started this series, it was really about habitually and intentionally looking for the good around us, even for something simple.  Practicing gratitude internally. 

What is being increasingly revealed to me, is that gratitude should also be practiced externally, overflowing to the people around us every day.  Sadly, in my life, I might think I'm grateful for a person, but I don't thank them actively.

Gratitude is good for the heart.


But what if it was shared, too?


Simple math tells me it might have twice the impact.

So, those two cute sets of note cards up there from Bella Louise Paperie are up for grabs. For free!  Here's how:
  1. Before the 100th Thankful Thursday post next week, leave a comment on today's post with something you're thankful for.  Or a person.  Or an experience.  Or anything you want.

  2. Promise that if you win this little giveaway, you will send grateful words on these cards to friends, family, coworkers, whomever, not because they gave you anything.  Just because you appreciate them.

  3. Next week, I will randomly select two people from the list of comments and announce them. I'll ship them right to your doors.
That's it.   And just think!  If you're one of my two readers, your odds are phenomenal.  It can't get easier.

So here we go.  In honor of #100, go on, be grateful!

6 comments:

  1. I am forever thankful for my family, both immediate and extended. I love writing notes to folks but have gotten away from it. This would be a great reason to start back.

    Thanks for your thoughtful, positive posts!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I am thankful to be alive and to have all of my family, immediate and extended, healthy and well also! I attended a memorial service today for a 30 year old young many in our church who was killed in a cycling accident on Sunday, so today, that is what I am thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful for my husband. He works 80 hours a week for FREE but when he is not at the hospital, he is present. I know he is exhausted but he makes Carter and I a priority. He takes me out to dinner so we can actually have a real conversation about what has been happening in the 80 hours we have been apart and he always thanks me for taking care of Carter especially on the really hard days! He plays, feeds, baths, giggles, wrestles and gets up in the middle of the night with Carter...not because he HAS to but because he WANTS too. We are in a tough season of life right now but I am happy to have a partner who cherishes each of the small moments that make up our lives together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooooove thank you cards! One of the things i'm thankful for today is a roof over my head. It's things like a home & a bed that i often take for granted. I love your thankful thursday posts and am encouraged by them. hope you are doing well robyn. i hope we get to hangout again soon! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today, I am thankful that I will be graduating in 55 days and have the opportunity to touch others lives. I am also thankful for my family who has supported ne through this journey and I cannot wait to thank them!! And it doesn't hurt that I will finally get to see you tomorrow for a long past due reunion!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In spite of the trial and tribulation going on right now, I have so many things to be grateful for in my world. In volunteering for Habitat for Humanity and helping to build a home for a family, I am thankful for my own little shack. I stood in the Habitat house and thought of the family who gets to live there, and hoped that they are able to create wonderful memories together. And with Christmas around the corner, they get to decorate and be together in that home for the holidays. I said a prayer for them and hope that they love and cherish the home that has been built just for them. I am thankful for the school that my son attends. I am spending a little time at the high school and getting to know some of the teachers. I volunteer for the Parents Teachers and Students Association. I serve as the, wait for it, Hospitality Chair. LOVE IT! I also help out with football. I really like H’s teachers and see firsthand that they really do care about the students. I am beyond thankful for my family and friends who have been supportive and gone beyond the call of duty to help me during a rough patch. I have not been one to tell or share my obstacles but just know that the ones who do have surrounded me with love, support and encouragement. And I am thankful for you. Our friendship. Your weekly gratitude. Encouraging me to share my gratitude weekly. Even though we know it really is not weekly. It’s daily.

    ReplyDelete