Friday, April 15, 2011

tracks of my tears

I've spent all night in my "safe place" because we've had severe weather sweeping across Alabama.  All's well, except for the fact that Dateline and Friday Night Lights -- the only saving graces of Friday night television -- were eighty-sixed, thanks to the live weather coverage.  (All.  Night.  Long.)

Time-wasters of the night included rampant games of "Words with [some] Friends," and checking on other friends who lived in the ever-moving red "polygons" on the weather maps (they're so technical, those weathermen).

I wanted to be motivated to at least post a blog entry, but I was uninspired.  Then at some point I saw a homemade video someone posted on Facebook that made me get a little teary, and I was inspired.

I've mentioned before that I'm not a big crier (although there are a handful of ugly-girl cries I claim).

But you know those moments that sneak up on you out of the blue?  Grip you.  Give you the lump in the throat.  You know the tears that spill over, no matter how far your eyes look up?  When you wonder how badly your mascara is running.  When you can't find the Kleenex!

They're subtle tears on the outside, but sometimes deeply profound on the inside.  Got me thinking about what those are for me.  The things that prick my heart, and call up my tears.

The instant when I realize someone isn't feeling included, or maybe has never felt included, and I know it's a loneliness they live with more than anyone should.

A photographic montage with sad music playing.  Seriously, folks, even in the movie Up.  The animated photo series of the couple who grew old together?  Over the top.  Too much.

Missing the past.  Sipping the bittersweet taste of nostalgia.  The time when grandparents still lived, when we still played in yards and on playgrounds, and when we didn't have adult decisions to make.

Watching authentic worship.  Participating in authentic worship is powerful, but do you ever see people being overwhelmed during praise and worship?  There is almost nothing sweeter on this earth.

Speaking of worship, singing praises -- traditional hymns, contemporary songs, sacred choral music, who cares -- those are some of my most throat-lumpy moments ever.

Celebrating people.  Graduations, anniversaries, birthdays, retirements.  Those are such tender moments, and I wonder why we wait for those "big" days to honor people well.

Subtle gestures of support and affection.  Have you seen a mom comfort her grown child with her hand on his back?  A little girl wrap her arm around her daddy's neck in church?  A husband who grabs his wife's hand when he knows she's upset?  Be still, my heart!

Those are the tracks of my tears.  What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment