Friday, October 29, 2010

the ugly-girl cry

Today I’m feeling so grateful for my sweet friends who sometimes can cry at the drop of a hat.  Although I can feel very sad, I don’t cry easily, so it’s good for me to expose myself to emotional transparency.
My friends whom I adore and learn so much from every day, their kind of emotional transparency can be the borderline basket case kind – weepy, tearful, and sometimes just downright ugly.  (And I use the terms “basket case” and “ugly” in love.)
I’m serious when I tell you that I so appreciate this trait in my friends.  God knew what He was doing when He assigned me the friends He has.  It’s good and healthy to see these raw emotions that manifest themselves in the ugly-girl cry.
Last night during Bible study, I set myself up, thinking something like this:
I haven’t had a good cry in a while.  And my girls are a little weepy tonight …
And then those stars aligned just right, and I had that good cry.  Hit me like a Mack truck.
In an instant it was clear that we were not at Bible study anymore; we were, in fact, at the Xtreme Emotions Extravaganza 2010 (I totally stole that term from one of my favorite criers, but it’s so, so accurate).  Fun times.
What about you?  When was your last ugly-girl cry?

No comments:

Post a Comment