Thursday, April 7, 2011

thankful thursday #21

"It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home."
- Author Unknown



On my 25th birthday, I shared a conference table with a seller and a bank representative, and I signed on the dotted line to buy my very first (and very own!) little house in Mississippi.

It was a labor of love in a lot of ways, and when I moved away four years ago, I transparently confessed that I wasn't emotionally prepared to let it go.  (Yes, God and I had a lot of talks about material possessions!)

So I didn't let it go.  I was fortunate to find a responsible tenant, and so began my adventures in long-distance landlording.

Several months ago, I decided that when my tenant moved out this summer, I'd try to sell my little house.  Try to find the perfect buyer who'd love it the way I do.  Try to find those hearts that would make my little house their home.

Today I had a curve ball tossed my way, I'm certain intended to keep me on my toes about remembering Whose plans are really the most important here!  We'll see what happens.

So to say the least, this Thankful Thursday is so timely!  When my flesh is pulled to worry and restlessness over the what-ifs, my spirit turns toward gratitude and gives me a dose of healthy perspective.

I'm thankful I've even had the opportunity to own a home at all.  Think!  Think of all the people in the world who will never, ever get that chance.

I'm grateful that while my house is old, old, old, it's got some good bones!  I've not had any major repairs or disasters to manage from afar (yes, I'm knocking on wood as I type).

And, how glad am I, for having had only two tenants over a four-year period so far, who've both been responsible caretakers of my house, and more importantly, low-drama?

So much to be thankful for, and this barely tips the iceberg!

What makes your cup of gratitude run over today?  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment