Friday, May 24, 2013

the other black bean dip

Is there anything more comfortable than inviting friends over in the summer for a grill-out, where they bring their own grill-ables?

There is no pressure to please everyone with just the right food offerings (although I do love to plan a menu), and timetables are fluid.

I love the flip flops and shorts, the smell of the burning fire, the background tunes, the easy flow of people from inside to outside and back inside again.

And a good dip to share.

Oh, how I love dips. Unfortunately some of my favorites are super-heavy, often served hot, and generally not conducive to a summer cook-out. (Like this one, although personally I could eat this goodness every single day of the year.)

Last night I hosted a handful of friends, I took a chance on this new one, and it's a winner. The cream cheese base is deceiving, and not as heavy as you might think (or maybe my love of cheese has skewed my judgment on that issue).

It's so simple, though. Try it out this holiday weekend, or at your next casual cook-out. I bet there won't be much left.

(the other) Black Bean Dip

1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 an onion, chopped (I used red, but white or yellow would also work)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. EVOO
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 8-oz. container cream cheese, softened (per usual, I used the whipped variety)
1 red pepper, chopped (although I think any color is festive)
3 green onions, chopped
couple of handfuls of your favorite cheese, shredded
Frito's Scoops (or other corn chips)

Combine the beans, onion, garlic, lime juice, EVOO, cumin and red pepper flakes. Stir together, cover, and refrigerate 1-2 hours (or overnight), to allow flavors to blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

When ready to serve, spread the cream cheese in the bottom of a serving dish, casserole, or platter with sides (a pie dish or 8x8 dish is about the right size). Top with bean mixture, red pepper, green onions, and cheese. Serve with your favorite corn chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment