Wednesday, September 28, 2011

good grief

My gals and I are closing in on the end of the Old Testament.  Can. Not. Believe it.

I thought Leviticus would kill us, but as it turns out, the major prophets have been really hard for me!

I've been happy to meet the minor prophets.  Happy to move away from the "Israel, you continue to disappoint Me" theme, and eagerly toward the "but don't worry, I'm keeping my promise to restore you" theme.

Glory to God.

In particular, Ezra has been such a sweet character study for me.  Here's why:

the set-up
After seventy years of captivity in Babylon, a remnant of Israelites is released by King Cyrus to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple.

Despite all sorts of opposition, they persist and complete its reconstruction.  A long-awaited celebration ensues!

ezra's mission
Sixty years later, Ezra is sent to Jerusalem, and commissioned to evaluate the people's spiritual state; to appoint godly leadership; and to establish a judicial system to punish the disobedient.

In short, he is working to ensure that God's people are living in alignment with His law.

the sober welcome
When he arrives in Jerusalem, Ezra is greeted with some heartbreaking news:

The people of Israel, including their leaders, had married Canaanite wives, a direct sin against God's command (Deuteronomy 7:1-6).

Go ahead.  Shake your head in disbelief.  I did, too.

ezra's grief & confession
Upon hearing this, Ezra is painfully grieved.  He tears his garments, plucks out his hair and beard (this is serious, folks!), and literally collapses to the ground in devastation.

"At the evening offering, I got up from my humiliation, with my tunic and robe torn. Then I fell on my knees and spread out my hands to the LORD my God. And I said: My God, I am ashamed and embarrassed to lift my face toward You, my God, because our iniquities are higher than our heads and our guilt is as high as the heavens." (Ezra 9:5-6)

the conviction
I just love this story, and I just hate this story.

I love Ezra's heart.

I hate Israel's tragic cycle of sin.

But if I'm honest, can I say that I'd have the same reaction as Ezra?

Would I weep over, and feel ashamed of, these people's (or my) sin?   Doubt it.

Would I have been faithful to pray on their behalf?  Not so likely.

Would I have grieved so deeply for this break in fellowship?  Probably not.

the challenge
The Bible gives us beautiful examples of people who are deeply grieved by their own sin, or the sins of God's people: David, the Apostle Paul, Daniel, Isaiah, and now Ezra.

What's the deal with all the grief?  Why should we feel it so?  Why are we called to it?

When we are growing in Christ, our hearts should be broken in response to sin, because sin is dishonoring to Him, and because it brings about a nasty separation from a holy God.

And then the kicker: if we are truly being molded into the likeness of Christ, our hearts should be responding as His would, and we know that He is grieved over our hardened hearts (Mark 3:5).

And one more for good measure: would we ever really know forgiveness and restoration without knowing brokenness and heartache?

the cry
Holy and Gracious Lord, give me a heart like yours that weeps for the lost; that breaks at the mere thought of separation from you; that shares in Your good and godly grief, so that I might know and understand your forgiveness and faithfulness more fully.

1 comment:

  1. i love that you are sharing this! hope you are great - Sarah

    ReplyDelete