Thursday, February 10, 2011

thankful thursday #13

Leviticus.  Oh, Leviticus.

As the book of laws for the priests of ancient Israel, it's earned the distinct reputation for being the book that breaks the souls of those folks reading the Bible in its entirity. 

Bible study groups across the planet fall to their knees in fervent prayer as they begin this book, pleading for supernatural strength to endure.

Mine sure did.

But glory to God, we have completed Leviticus, and have come out on the other side alive and well!

Not only am I thankful to be moving into Numbers, but how grateful am I, that I'm living under the new covenant?!  Y'all, the sacrifices required for sins in the Old Testament were in-tense!

Bloody.  Repulsive.

Although many of the rules in Leviticus don't apply to today's believers as they once did, I am humbly grateful for the underlying principles that remain:

The unchanging character of the LORD.

Our need for forgiveness.

The opportunity we have for restored fellowship with God through his son, Jesus.

In other less serious news, I so, so love a good haircut.  Thankful that I got to sit in Candi's chair today!

What are you feeling glad about today?  Go on, be grateful!

3 comments:

  1. This is a long comment, but what I appreciate about Leviticus is understanding the holiness of God. Start with the premise that we are a royal priesthood. Lev is the instruction manual for that priesthood. And imagine that you are responsible for each law. Look at how many times God says "Do this for I am Holy." God says, "I am your God and you will be my people and I will DWELL among you." To have the Holy & Living God dwelling, walking among us - this is what it takes. What are the requirements for living with a Holy God, of personally being holy? They're insane: the offerings, the level of precision in the instructions, more offerings, a law/consequence for practically every behavior. It's impossible and the work of being holy, staying holy & dwelling with a holy & righteous God is being done by the Holy Spirit through Jesus' redemption. To me, redemption means more when I realize how impossibly high the bar is. But I wouldn't know where the bar is (still is) without Lev.
    - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it, sister! This time reading through Leviticus was far more meaningful than in the past -- such intricate detail He went through to prepare us to receive that redemption. Thanks for sharing what YOU're thankful for. :) I miss you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete