Monday, September 26, 2011

protein-crazy enchiladas

Who knew I'd be finding such fun recipes during my busiest season?

This one is super easy, quite tasty, and it packs a lot of protein punch.

And, because I thought "Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas" was way too boring, I present to you ...

Protein-Crazy Enchiladas

EVOO
1 small onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb. chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can of green chiles
1/3-1/2 c. of your favorite salsa
4 flour tortillas (I used wheat ones, but any will do)
Monterrey jack and cheddar cheeses, shredded
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2.  
  3. On medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic in a couple tablespoons of EVOO, about 2 minutes.
  4.  
  5. Add chicken and saute about 5-6 minutes.  (It's okay if the chicken isn't all the way done ... you have more cooking to do!)
  6.  
  7. Add black beans, green chiles, and salsa.  Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened.  (I used taco sauce here, because that's just what I had on hand, but I'm sure any fun salsa will be tasty and add personality.)
  8.  
  9. Divide the chicken mixture among your tortillas, roll them up, and place them seam-side down in a shallow baking dish, coated with cooking spray.  (I should note here that if I'd had more room in my dish, I'd have rolled up a fifth one, because the filling was plentiful.  Your tortillas might be big enough, though, so just roll with it.  No pun intended.)
  10.  
  11. Top with cheese (you know me, the more the better), and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
You can top these guys with a little sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro if you want to be fancy.

But either way, the leftovers made for a tasty lunch today!

No comments:

Post a Comment