Thursday, December 30, 2010

thankful thursday #7

Since the morning after Christmas, it's been just me and Mom, lounging around, braving the return lines in the days after Christmas, hitting up some excellent sales, exercising the pooches, visiting friends, and putting lots of miles on the cars.

It's been good times!

At least three times over the past week, I've been in check-out lines with Mom, and she's been granted the "senior discount."  In fact, I watched her sales bill at one clothing store drop from $79 to around $35 in a matter of seconds (she did have a coupon or two, but still).

In all instances, I sensed that the store clerk was slightly uncomfortable asking whether or not Mom qualified. They want to be helpful, but who wants to ask a lovely lady her age?

It's an awkward dilemma.

"Do you receive our senior discount?" one asked.  Another one was much more crafty (gotta love Chick-fil-A personnel).  He directed his inquiry to me instead, "Do you know if anyone with you is over 52?"

Mom loves it.  She loves that she gets a free beverage at the Chick, or that she gets an extra 20% off her department store purchase.  Better yet, she puts those uncomfortable clerks at ease, assuring them that this is a good thing.

I was feeling grateful today that my mom embraces aging with such graciousness and ease.  So many folks -- women, especially -- see silver hair, or lines on her face attesting to years of laughter, and they want to "fix" it all and go back in time.

Believe me, I know there are some not-so-fun challenges that come with aging.  I'm 32 and already feel a little stiff when I get out of bed in the mornings!

But it's refreshing to see some good-natured aging happening out there.  I hope when I'm qualifying for senior discounts, I'm happy to accept them too.

What are you appreciating today?  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment