Thursday, January 30, 2014

thankful thursday #167

{We interrupt this brief crock pot love-fest for a well-deserved Thankful Thursday.}

Remember when I was thankful during that week when my pipes froze?

Yeah. It was good practice for finding some gratitude this week of "snowmageddon 2K14." Wowsers.

I'll share the full story another time, but while people across our city were stranded on interstates, separated from families, or searching for heat and food, I was one who got lucky. And if I couldn't be grateful about what was really just a lot of little inconveniences, I'd be a loser.

Let's count the ways, shall we? So thankful today for ...

... being spared a car accident during the brief time I was on the roads trying to get home.

... avoiding the other cars that were sliding down the hill into the intersection at which I was stopped.

... the one phone call I was able to make to my coworker who directed me back to the office.

... spending my time at the office on Tuesday watching the news, rather than being the news.

... my two work pals and one nice stranger who kept me company all night at the office.

... the spare toothbrush and toothpaste stashed in my desk drawer.

... snagging the lone couch at my office for my Tuesday night bed. It wasn't soft, but it was better than the floor.

... my wardrobe choice for Tuesday, which was not-the-worst-option to sleep in.

... my awesome parka, that served as the perfect blanket.

... the boots I wore on Tuesday, so my feet stayed dry on the walk home on Wednesday.

... my house that sits only 3.5 miles from my office, so I could even think about walking home.

... the couple who picked me up in an ATV and drove me over half way home.

... leaving my faucets dripping on Tuesday morning, so I had running water when I did make it home on Wednesday.

... my neighbor who confirmed the running water for me before my trek home.

... the pork tenderloin in my refrigerator that I cooked and enjoyed when I got home.

... my gym being only one mile away, so I could walk there this morning while my car sat patiently back at the office. It was a nice outing.

... another neighbor (and work pal!) being a fellow gym member willing to keep me company on the walk there today.

... the fabulous showers at my gym, since despite my best preventative efforts, my pipes still froze overnight and I had no water for most of today (ugh).

... the temperatures today that rose above 40 to thaw my pipes.

... that serving work-pal who took me to retrieve my car.

... my car cranking on the first try, after having sat in ice for 48 hours.

... never having lost power this whole week.

It's been a full week. It's been full of twists and turns, but full of beautiful stories of humanity, too. I hope you've stayed warm and cozy, and even in the moments when you weren't, I hope you stayed positive.

There's always a reason to go on and be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. A lot of things to be thankful for, and a lot of teasers that make me really curious to hear the full story!

    ReplyDelete