Wednesday, January 29, 2014

how one crock pot recipe can feed you many times over {shredded bbq chicken}

Based on my crock pot experimentation guidelines, this recipe is the jam for versatile leftovers. I cooked this chicken on a weekend, and ate it all week on salads, sandwiches, and pizzas.

BBQ Shredded Chicken
Makes however many meals you can squeeze out

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 c. ketchup
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Place chicken in crock pot. Mix rest of ingredients in a bowl, and pour over chicken. Cook on low 7-8 hours. When ready, remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Add some of the sauce, coating chicken with desired amount.

I got a little crazy with the sauce, so use it sparingly. It's much easier to add than to take away.

What crock pot recipe yields your most versatile leftovers?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this recipe!! we are going to try it this weekend :) oh, and did you use frozen or thawed chicken? (p.s. glad you were able to stay warm at work and to eventually get back home...craziness!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suze! I used thawed chicken on this one. Good luck! I hope you like it. (And yes, I'm very happy to be home ... and now with my car! Hope y'all stayed warm and toasty!)

      Delete