Thursday, January 9, 2014

thankful thursday #164

It's been cold here, people.

Early this week, the wind chill on two consecutive days was zero degrees. Zero.

For most of my southern neighbors, zero degrees is too much. And it's definitely extreme.

But I love cold weather, and I have a legitimate parka. I was loving the chance to wear it and be the envy of my friends, rather than be ridiculed for my mostly-unnecessary winter gear.

Until my pipes froze.

Then the cold wasn't so fun anymore.

It wasn't so fun when my shower didn't turn on. Or when I asked my neighbor if I could brush my teeth at her house that morning. Or when I was bumming a shower off a friend the next morning.

And then, glory, the temperatures finally crept above freezing, and the pipes thawed. Running water never felt so good.

Despite the inconvenience, though, there's so much to be thankful for:

Well, running water, of course. Lots of folks around the world don't have that, and when I don't have it, it's a healthy reminder to appreciate it when I do have it.

Friends who let me brush my teeth, wash my face, or shower with their running water.

My nearby gym that has a pretty fantastic locker room. I'd have used that the next morning without blinking.

All the thoughtful people who told me after the fact their endless tips for frozen pipe prevention. I'll know for next time. (I may have been a little bitter about that initially, but now? Gratitude. Really.)

As best I can tell, no burst pipes. Miraculous, from what I've been told.

Overall, plenty of gratitude to be found amid the polar vortex.

Did you survive the big chill? With or without running water? Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment