Friday, January 31, 2014

how crock pot chili became crock pot casserole {cream cheese chicken chili}

This recipe has, evidently, taken Pinterest by storm. I'm personally anti-Pinterest, but every Pinterest user I know has raved about this one.

It was so darn easy, I was more than happy to give it a go. And anything with cream cheese in the lineup has the odds in its favor. (I dare someone to disagree with me on that.)

And then something crazy happened. The "chili" I ate when it first finished, morphed into fork-ready, casserole-ish leftovers.

Crazy, I tell you.

Lest you think that was a bad thing, it wasn't. The reheated leftovers made for a very delicious nacho-topper, and it was really so tasty, that I didn't care that it wasn't super soupy anymore. But, I may try adding some chicken broth or milk next time, just to ramp up the soup-factor.

Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
Serves 4-6

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen (although I bet thawed ones would work too)
1 can Rotel tomatoes (hot or mild, your choice)
1 can corn kernels, undrained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese (low- or non-fat, if you're feeling boring)
Corn chips of choice (Frito's Scoops are my go-to)
Shredded cheddar, green onions or sour cream for optional toppings

Place chicken and remaining ingredients in the crock pot, making sure the cream cheese is the last one in (placed on top of the pile). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken, shred, and return to the crock pot, stirring to combine. Serve with corn chips and optional toppings.

Has anyone else made this and experienced similar leftover mysteries? Let me hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment