Friday, September 28, 2012

buffalo is the new black

When did the buffalo chicken flavor become such a trend?

I remember a few years ago when Buffalo Chicken Dip emerged in some of our game day catering menus at work, and even before then when restaurants like Buffalo Wild Wings became popular.

And then at some point, you could purchase your very own wing sauce in the grocery store.  And pizza places introduced Buffalo Chicken Pizza?  Didn't see that one coming.

I enjoy wings on occasion, but I have never ventured into the let's-make-every-chicken-recipe-available-in-the-buffalo-variety world, until this week.

Chicken burgers have become quite a go-to for me.  They are relatively healthy, and like the versatile sweet potato, they can spotlight a slew of delicious tastes.  This one by Giada is one of my favorites.

One night this week I was dying to cook, but was strapped for time, and I decided to give the Buffalo Chicken Burger a chance.  I used this recipe, but here it is with my own notes.

Buffalo Chicken Burgers

1 lb. ground chicken breast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. course ground pepper
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 c. buffalo wing sauce*
1/4 c. breadcrumbs*
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, optional
Extra wing sauce, optional

* I had never bought wing sauce before, and I strangely rolled the dice on the Budweiser brand.  It is delicious, but I am certain that any brand is fine.

* I always use Panko bread crumbs, but again, I'm sure any you have on hand will serve the purpose.

  1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Use your hands, be gentle, and don't over-mix.  Form into four patties.

  2. Heat a grill pan (or grill, if you're really going all out) to medium-high heat, and lightly spray with non-stick oil.

  3. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.

As for serving, obviously you can eat these like a real burger.  Personally, I think that this burger, some melted pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Ranch dressing, all piled up on a freshly baked roll, would be pretty fantastic.

However, if you're watching the calories and fleeing from carbs, it also works great on a bed of lettuce, with tomatoes, green onions, and French's fried onions (my favorite salad topping, ever).  Over the top, I drizzled a little bit of the wing sauce, and a little bit of Ranch dressing, and it made for a very tasty salad.

And if I'd had some, crumbled blue cheese would have also made an appearance.

Happy weekend, folks.  Go grill up something in this gorgeous fall weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment