Tuesday, August 28, 2012

flee from me, carbs

I had a hankering to cook last night, and as usual, Food Gawker served up some great inspiration.

This recipe for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas was calling my name, but my conscience was screaming, Tortillas will suck you into Carb Land in a bad way!  I couldn't ignore it.

Determined to indulge in the cheesy goodness, but flee from the carb temptation that tortures me so, I decided to sear chicken breasts, and pour the creamy enchilada filling on top.

It needs some tweaking, I think, but for a first-time experiment, it was pretty tasty, and it was quick and easy.  Here's what transpired:

The Chicken Enchiladas That Weren't

1 lb. chicken breast cutlets (or breasts that you've butterflied)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 c. panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 10-oz. can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies*
1 8-oz. package cream cheese
1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Green onions for garnish
EVOO, salt and pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Heat a couple of tablespoons of EVOO in a skillet over medium high heat.

  3. Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Bread each piece by dipping first in egg, then in panko.

  4. Sear chicken for just a minute or so per side.  (The goal isn't to cook it, but to get it pretty and golden and crispy.  It will finish cooking in the oven.)  Place in a greased 9 x 13 dish.

  5. In a separate skillet, heat butter over medium high heat and sauté the Rotel tomatoes for about 5 minutes.  Add the cream cheese, and stir until melted.

  6. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the chicken.  Top with Monterey Jack cheese and sliced green onions.

  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
* I didn't drain the tomatoes so that the juices would help the cream cheese take on a more creamy texture.  If you choose to drain them, I imagine it might be thicker, with a little less heat, but don't quote me on that.

** You may also want to go with the mild variety if you're hesitant about spice.  I used the original flavor, and it was pretty punchy.

Happy cooking, folks.   Get out there and show those carbs who's boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment