Thursday, April 12, 2012

thankful thursday #73


The world we live in is beyond materialistic.  I know this.  I struggle with that sin to a point, although I rarely think of myself as having outrageous amounts of stuff (save for the closet and pantry purges of 2011).

For the past two weeks, though, I’ve not had a clear path to walk in my apartment, thanks to all my possessions coming out of hiding and into stacks of boxes.

The movers have told me they will call me tomorrow for a final box count, so they’ll know what size truck to bring.  I haven’t counted the boxes yet; it will probably be embarrassing.

So here I sit, writing my final Thankful Thursday from this address.  I move in less than 48 hours to a new home – just up the road, not far – and I’m looking quite forward to new.  New space.  New décor.  New projects.  New memories.

But alas, saying hello to new means saying goodbye to old.  Not surprisingly, the ol’ nostalgia is kicking in, and I can’t help but feel grateful tonight for ...

The awesome neighbors I’ve had here, whose median age is 70, and who do not party hard.

The pristine landscaping my landlord demands.

The prompt maintenance service I’ve received, but only needed on a few occasions.

The tiny increase in my rent, which happened only once in five years.

The nearby trail that I accidentally discovered last spring.

The accessibility I’ve enjoyed to everywhere in Birmingham.  Location is king.

Living five minutes from Lori.

The friendships born here that grew into the accountability group I adore.

Stay tuned for more fun facts about the “new” that’s around the corner for me, but in the meantime, celebrate some “old” in your own life, and for the goodness therein.  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment