Wednesday, April 18, 2012

pyramid

Dick Clark passed away today.  Probably to the general public he was best known for American Bandstand or his New Year's Rockin' Eve, but during my childhood, he was a household name because of Pyramid.



This game show evolved from The $10,000 Pyramid and The $25,000 Pyramid in the 70s, to The $100,000 Pyramid in the early 90s.  And then Donny Osmond somehow found his way to that podium in the 2000s, and I can't imagine anyone watched anymore.

Essentially the precursor to Catch Phrase and Taboo, Pyramid paired plain ol' contestants with celebrities, and players tried to guess a word or phrase, based on their teammate's descriptions.

(Incidentally, as I reflect on the winner's circle at the end of each episode, the ticking clock in this game might be a contributor to my anxiety of all timed missions.)

But Pyramid had Dick Clark!  What a guy.

Good-natured.  Clean cut.  Polite.  What more could we want from a game show host?

In honor of that awesome game show that I watched more times than I can remember, here is my week's recap in Pyramid code:

Professional movers. Mom for moral support. 
People Robyn never wants to move without!

Delayed flight.  Rude people at baggage claim.  A 45-minute wait in the TSA security line.
Things that make air travel a total nightmare!

Endless kitchen cabinet space. A garage to park in, for the first time ever. A patio and perfect weather.
Things Robyn loves most about her new house so far!

Boxes stacked in the living room.  Complete disorganization in the guest room.  Furniture configuration number two.
Things that overwhelm Robyn in her new house!

Insurance refund checks.  Offering an elderly lady a walk under my umbrella to her car in the pouring rain.  Lori cooking dinner on moving day.
Things that made Robyn happy!

Dick Clark, you will be missed.  So for now, so long.

Question: What do you remember most about Dick Clark?

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED the bloopers show he did with Ed McMahon. Those killed me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Lori, good one! Had totally forgotten that one. He was so dang likable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a pre-teen tyke, I remember watching Am Bandstand every afternoon while visiting grandparents near St. Louis. Dick Clark must have been 18 y/o then! My younger brother and I had a "favorite" guy named Johnny that we loved to watch dance. Love for pop/rock&roll music is all DC's fault!!

    ReplyDelete