Friday, March 18, 2011

welcome, friday night (chicken salad)

Let me tell you about a most fantastic Friday night in my world.

After work today, I came home and slipped on my running shoes, went out into the 70-something degree sunshine, and jogged through some unfamiliar territory.  I explored new neighborhoods, stumbled on a park, and listened to the gravel beneath my feet on a secret trail (well, it was secret from me, anyway).  It was gorgeous.

It's been a little (lot) bit since I cooked, so I skipped over to my local Publix and picked up a few essentials for a new culinary experiment -- something light, appropriate for a post-run meal, and something quick, so I could be sure to see every last bit of my March Madness bracket crumble before my very eyes.

So, I milled around the kitchen and made this quick chicken salad:

Friday Night Chicken Salad

1/4 c. chopped scallions
1/4 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 oven roasted rotisserie chicken
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil

Mix together scallions, celery, and yogurt.  Tear apart the chicken (it is not really graceful), remove the skin, and chop up the chicken.  Add chicken to the yogurt mixture, and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Mix in the basil, and chill until you serve it up.

Now, I am personally a mayo-lover, so I replaced a couple of tablespoons of the healthy yogurt with unhealthy mayo.  It was tasty, but if you are anti-mayo, I think enough salt and pepper will make the blah yogurt just as delish.

I enjoyed mine with a slice of crusty bread (fresh-baked at Publix, yum!), and some grapes and blueberries.  I feel summer coming on!

And now, if Georgia can somehow manage their first-round win at the Big Dance, that would really make my night!

Hope y'all have had a happy Friday, too, doing the things you love best!

No comments:

Post a Comment