Tuesday, December 6, 2011

festive eats with christmas flare

Y'all know of my love for The Sing-Off.

Last week was the competition finale (go Pentatonix!), and this week the "Holiday Special" aired.

(No "Christmas" at NBC, you know.)

Fortunately I have a few friends who share my love of The Sing-Off, too, and we gathered together to watch the holiday extravaganza.

And no one gathers at my place without munchies! 

I confess to plating up some storebought pigs-in-blankets (thank you, Sister Schubert), and some tasty Caramel Cake Bites and Chocolate Mousse Bombs from Iz Cafe

But, I did go homemade for these two festive, holiday Christmas recipes I love to prepare.

Pineapple Cheese Ball

My mom used to make this around the holidays, although I think this particular recipe might be a slight variation.  Either way, it is good eats!

2 packages cream cheese, softened
1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 c. diced bell pepper (green, red, or both if you're feeling extra colorful)
1 green onion, finely chopped
1-2 c. pecans, chopped
Salt to taste
Assorted crackers

Combine cream cheese, pineapple, peppers, and onion.  (I broke down and used an electric beater, but not really necessary.)  Add 1 c. of the pecans, and the salt.  Chill in the fridge until the cheese is firmed up, and then form the mixture into a ball.  If you'd like you can roll it in more chopped pecans.  I suppose that might make it prettier, but I passed on that step.  Put it on your loveliest Christmas platter, and serve it up!

Sausage Stars

Back when I was just starting out on my own, a dear friend shared this recipe with me.  Every time I make it, I think of her and our friendship.  I love how food is such a connector of people!

1 lb. ground sausage (hot if you'd like), browned and drained
1 green or red pepper, finely chopped (again, I use both for flare)
1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese
1/2 - 1 c. Ranch dressing
1 package won ton wrappers
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place won ton wrappers in a muffin tin, and bake for about 5-7 minutes.  I bake around two dozen.  Let them cool on a wire rack, so they crisp up. 
  2.  
  3. Mix cooked sausage, peppers, and cheese together.  I like to use my hands for this part, just because it's more fun that way.
  4.  
  5. Add Ranch dressing, starting with about 1/2 a cup.  Stir it up, and add additional dressing as needed, until everything is sticking together, but isn't drowning in the Ranch.  Balance, people.
  6.  
  7. Scoop the sausage mixture into the cups (don't sress about amounts; I just wing it), and bake for about 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  Watch the tips of the cups, too.  Burned won ton cups is a deal breaker.
If you're making this ahead of time, tackle steps 1-3 the day before.  Store those little cups in a big Zip-loc bag, and wrap up your sausage mixture to keep in the fridge. You can assemble and bake them the next day when you're ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment