Thursday, June 9, 2011

thankful thursday #30

I enjoy a good read, but I'm not a fast reader.  On occasion, I'll breeze through a book in a couple of days, and that usually happens only when I'm on vacation, reading a lot on the beach, or spending many hours waiting in airport terminals.

On the plane to and from Manhattan this past week, I was completely transfixed with this memoir by Christina Haag, the childhood friend and long-time girlfriend of JFK, Jr.

“[Haag] doesn’t bow to tabloid sensationalism; instead, she gently dusts off her tender, aching memories and bravely holds them to the light...The book also paints a compelling portrait of the lost Manhattan of the 1970s and ’80s, a mysterious place of wealth and despair."
-- Los Angeles Times

I couldn't have said it better myself.  She is graceful, literally eloquent, and honors the legacy of the love she lost.

I'm so grateful for good books that you lose yourself in!  Aren't you?

What great reads are you thankful for -- and recommending -- today?  Go on, be grateful!

(That's a not a rhetorical question, people.  I seriously need 'em.  Beach Week is around the corner!)

1 comment:

  1. I always love your blogs. They are the words that make up RLF and are always so real. But, mostly they are cause for others to stop and ponder, laugh and/or reflect on life. Please keep sharing!

    Bradley

    ReplyDelete