Thursday, June 2, 2011

thankful thursday #29

I read an article recently about relationships between women.  Family, friends, co-workers, all of 'em.  Women are complicated beings (shocking, I know), and relationships between them can be, too.

The temptation to compare, the ever-present threat of jealousy, the competitive spirits.  They just make for some natural challenges.

In particular, single women can find themselves funneled by our culture -- for better or worse -- into friendships with other single women who are quite like us.  Certainly, we can share life experiences, and even function as local families.  These are some of my most treasured friendships for all the "better" they bring into my world.

On the other hand, if we are not intentional about cultivating relationships with women in different stages than us, we lose.  We miss out.

Before I moved to Birmingham, I lived in a place where single gals my age were not particularly easy to find.  During that time, it was sometimes frustrating and lonely because of it, but I also was blessed --  and not because I was being intentional about it -- to befriend women in all walks of life while I was there.

These days, I find the opposite is true, and in this particular season, I'm being challenged and loved and surrounded by more single girls than not.  I adore this reality, but I consciously remember my reality from a few short years ago, too.

Today, in light of my reflections on female friendships, I'm feeling especially thankful for the single moms, the married moms, the grandmothers, the widows, the pastors' wives, and so many more in my life who have shared themselves, their heartbreaks, their fears, and their families with me over the years.

Who are the people you're appreciating today?  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment