Tuesday, June 7, 2011

life in the little apple

This week I'm in Manhattan, Kansas, visiting with a new client.  It's only my second time here, but I'm already fond of the quirks and eccentricities that make this place home to many.

Small towns -- and let's be clear, this one isn't nearly as small as others where I've worked (and lived) -- are so underestimated.  In particular, I am my father's daughter, and I love, love, love a good college town.  Exploring so many of them is one of my favorite things about my job.

Despite the blazing heat that seems to have followed us here from Alabama, Manhattan is endearing for these reasons:
  • The midwestern farmer's work-ethic that is the norm
  •  
  • The observance of the 30 mph speed limit (although, that might actually lose its charm after a time)
  •  
  • The patriotism that's rampant here as troops are returning home to Fort Riley
  •  
  • The "You betchas!" we hear in response to our southern "Thanks so muches!"
  •  
  • Aggieville
  •  
  • The safe rooms and storm shelters
  •  
  • That they really do call themselves "The Little Apple" and have a Central Park
  •  
  • The indigenous limestone that crowns the architecture
It's a haul to get out here, but it's nice to  be welcomed to the Little Apple by these salt-of-the-earth folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment