Sunday, March 13, 2011

thankful thursday #17, the sunday edition

Ninety minutes ago, I landed at the Birmingham airport, exactly one week from when I flew out.  It's been a long week -- hence the late Thankful Thursday post -- and I'm so thankful to be home!

Kansas City.  Have y'all ever been?  I was out there for work, and while I'm feeling called to turn in early tonight (and every other night for the next week), I did manage a little mental game of Hi-Low, a.k.a., my highlights and lowlights from the week:

highlight: Landing early back at home today!

lowlight: Beginning our trip with a three-hour delay in the Birmingham airport.  That is not the place to be delayed.

highlight: Cosentino's Market every single morning for breakfast.  Love that place, and I'm starting to lobby for one in Birmingham.  Had the most lovely conversation with the manager there this morning, just telling him how great they are.  It feels good to share some positive feedback with management.

lowlight: Not getting to eat there for probably another year.  Boo.

highlight: Fogo de Chau for dinner on Thursday.  (If I hadn't been in a food-induced coma, maybe I'd have had the energy to blog that I was thankful for that meal on Thursday.)

lowlight: Working outdoors in the 30-degree weather and rain.  So not fun.

highlight: Rain boots.  Such the lifesavers!

lowlight: Hearing complaints from volunteers.  (Really, Mr. Volunteer?  Your thank-you gift isn't nice enough?)

highlight: The volunteers that were especially fantastic, including the ROTC from KU.  Best sports ever.

lowlight: Filling in and rebounding balls for the thirteen-some-odd volunteers who said they were coming and didn't.

highlight: Presenting our Special Olympians with their post-game gift bags!

lowlight: The labor crew we hired for breakdown.  Not fully sober, and requiring a smoke break?  A little much.

highlight: Coming home to daylight savings!  So excited to see that sunshine still peeking out after work this week!

So, even though it's not Thursday, what's got you thankful today?  Go on, be grateful!

3 comments:

  1. I am grateful that you are finally back in town! Cheesy, yes, but seriously, I hate when you are out of town all week. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so loved! Happy to be home myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful for you...Don't know if I could have handled the unorganized (that is until we organized), the crazy volunteers (NO names please...you know who I'm talking about), and that terrible labor crew (I'm telling you, they need a female supervisor to crack the whip). For real, you made KC FUN well and Cosentino's!!!!

    ReplyDelete