Sunday, February 20, 2011

dear baby

Dear Baby Felton,

On Friday night, your mom and dad started sharing with the world that, God willing, you'll be gracing us with your presence in about six months.  To say we are excited might be one of the biggest understatements of all time!

They live far away, and so they told Mom and me first on Skype (I wonder if you'll even know what that is by the time you're old enough to read this?), so they could see our reactions.  Mom squealed, I laughed, and it was such a sweet, joyous moment to share.

(And I know Dad and Patrick also responded in predictably hilarious fashion, but I didn't get to see them.)

That was all on the outside.

On the inside, I could barely process -- it's taken me two days! -- all that was swirling around in my heart and mind.

Because I'll forever be your practical aunt, I naturally began to wonder at what point I should book a plane ticket to Ft. Lauderdale to meet you.  You're scheduled to arrive sometime around Labor Day weekend, which of course is a busy work weekend for Dad and me, but I'm not stressing out.  We'll meet at exactly the right moment.

And oh, your parents.

Your mom and dad have treasured you in their hearts for almost three months, without telling a soul!  I know it was hard for them, because they are so excited to spread the news, but I'm so glad they got to share that secret together -- just the two of them -- for a spell.

They are one of my most favorite couples, because they love each other so completely.  They are best friends, they laugh together, they've cried together (or at least your mom has!), and they know that even when the other one messes up, forgiveness and commitment are never far away.

Baby, you've got parents who are keepers!

I'm equally excited for Mom and Dad (what will be their grandparent names?!), because they love their kids well, and they will love you just as well.  And I know you will love them back, in the way grandkids do.  And Mom and Dad deserve the chance to experience grand-parenthood.  They really do.

I worry for the world you're entering; it is broken and scary.  I'm not a mom, but I imagine it's a hard time to raise up children to be good and upstanding; to do the right thing, and to treat people well; to ultimately follow Jesus, despite our culture telling you that instant gratification, wealth, and material things will satisfy.

So we'll just pray hard over you, and for the people that will surround you.  And we'll pray that ultimately, God's the One who has the most influence over you.

Until you get here, we will anticipate, and decorate, and celebrate.  We'll wonder whose eyes you'll get, and assume you'll get the best DNA from both your parents, and of course while we can't know any of those things yet, Psalm 139 holds true, and God does know.

But really, we love you already, and just can't wait to meet you!

6 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, Robyn. It brought tears to my eyes. Congrats to your family! Erin Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo stinkin' excited and this is such a sweet, sweet post! Baby Felton will be WELL PRAYED OVER even before his/her appearance on the stage of this earth.

    Cheers!

    P.S. Even though I have never met Katie or Christopher, I'm starting the baby blanket soon! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cubbs-
    I can't stop reading this! This is such a great note that our baby can read someday! You are the best! I love you!
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you! Being an aunt is absolutely the best thing in the world.

    And I'll be glad to share with you my best auntie gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Aunt Robyn! So happy for your whole family!! - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO excited for you and your family! You are so sweet to blog this! You will rock as an aunt...and as a mother!

    ReplyDelete