Monday, January 31, 2011

review: pinches tacos

There's something a little bit peculiar about an authentic taco chain that has four locations, three in Los Angeles County, and one here in Birmingham.

I couldn't not try it out.

Pinches Tacos has opened in Homewood, on the corner of Oxmoor and 19th Sreet, by a native of Homewood, who after spending twelve years in Los Angeles, returned home with a little taste of Hollywood to share.

I ate lunch there today -- three short days following its grand opening -- and I admit, that's about as cutting-edge as my life gets!

The design screams west coast (and is peppered with strange skeleton decor), the staff is friendly and chill (although very proud of their food), and guests will be scolded if they ask for queso or sour cream.

(Just setting the scene here, people.)

Jorge Anaya, one of the partners in from L.A. to help open the restaurant, was running the register today, and as any foodie would, I released control and asked him to order for me.

Without hesitation, he began entering my order, "You will have one fish taco ... and would you like chicken, pork, or beef?"  When I opted for chicken, the chicken mole taco was his easy recommendation.  He explained, "It is a chocolate-infused sauce that tastes nothing like chocolate."

(Interesting.)

I also squeezed in an order of chips and pico as well, but passed on the guacamole.

The tortillas are homemade -- and yes, taste very authentic -- and the fillings are, as promised, flavorful and fresh, and not greasy.  Regarding the two tacos I tried, the fish taco (Pescado) with Veracruz cole slaw, was the favorite without question.  The chicken mole taco (Pollo Mole) was also very tasty, with more than a little bit of spice.  (For the record, I did pick up on a distinct cocoa flavoring, although it was not sweet.)  And, the pico was clearly homemade and fresh.

It may have room to seat around thirty patrons, most tables being two- or four-tops, so be aware of seating limitations.

Generally speaking, I'll give a restaurant a thumbs up after a first-time visit, if I'd return for a second visit.  I plan to return to Pinches, because several menu items intrigue me.

And that's bold, considering the fact that much of their menu is listed in Spanish, and cheese dip is frowned upon.

Birmingham folks, try it out, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment