Tuesday, January 11, 2011

eating (and iced) in

Today was the second day home from work, due to the snow (more accurately, the ice) that has paralyzed the city of Birmingham.

In preparation for my time at home, I looked forward to the opportunity to do some cooking, which I haven't done much of lately.  And I miss it.

So I selected a couple of recipes in my latest issue of Cooking Light and hit the grocery store.  (And, thank goodness, the recipes did not require milk, bread, or eggs.)

Of the two I prepared, here's my favorite one.  It's super flavorful, and more importantly, super easy.

Sautéed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter

Slightly ironic disclaimer: Apparently, prior to winter storms, the city of Birmingham clears out the grocery stores of the traditional necessities, plus sage.  I couldn't find any sage.  So, the Sage Browned Butter actually turned into Garlic Browned Butter.  Oh well.

4 chicken cutlets
salt and pepper for seasoning
olive oil or cooking spray for the pan
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. butter
2 sage sprigs (or, in my case, 2 garlic cloves, crushed)
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

  1. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.  Dredge in flour.
  2.  
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray or EVOO.  Add chicken to pan; sauté for about 4 minutes on each side, or until done.  Remove chicken from pan and place on serving platter.
  4.  
  5. Add butter and sage sprigs (or garlic cloves) until butter browns.  Discard sage or garlic.  Add shallots and thyme; cook for 30 seconds.
  6.  
  7. Add lemon juice; cook for 30 seconds.
  8.  
  9. Pour butter over chicken.

So yummy.  I served it up with a little whole-weat couscous, and sautéed spinach.

I've seriously enjoyed the two days of nothing, but it's back to the real world tomorrow.

I can always cling to the leftovers.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet comment!
    I'm pretty excited about the hand written notes, although I'm taking the easy way out and sending my nephews cards this month. I wish I could give up fried food, but we don't ever fry at home...and usually just save it for Chikfila road trips to Atlanta.
    Is there a certain area that you would prefer to do a mission trip? I'm sure you would be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the recipes I pulled out too! Glad to know it's a winner. We still need to make some risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, Peru is calling my name, but we'll see!

    And Lori, risotto date will be soon, but tell me you have bigger ideas for your birthday. ;)

    ReplyDelete