Thursday, April 17, 2014

thankful thursday #178

Driving out of the Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport, this sign sits modestly on the side of the road.



For spring break of my senior year in college, I spent the week in a part of California, where the yards were made of rocks, and brown was the color of the season.

When I flew back to Birmingham, I remember looking out the window of the plane, and relishing the top of the city, canopied in a million shades of green. Those Birmingham trees, shouting that spring had arrived.

When I'd left for California, winter had not quite breathed its last, so in that moment on the plane, spring was startling. Ever since, there is always a moment between winter and spring where I'm startled by the green, the leaves, the flowers.

It's when I'm grateful for Birmingham, Tree City, where green is abundant and generous.

I had my moment this holy week, and I'm thankful for it.

Have you stopped to appreciate spring yet? Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment