Sunday, March 16, 2014

the day i tried quinoa for the first time

At the start of the new year, I shared some goals for 2014, and the food I wanted to try was quinoa.


I first heard about this protein-packed grain a few years ago when the gluten-free craze was overtaking the world.  Those culinary fads usually make me roll my eyes, because I love foods because they taste great, not because they're trendy.

I'd been afraid of it, too, because experts call it a "super-food," and as so many super-foods go, I feared it would taste like cardboard. Or dirt.

But I do like to experiment in the kitchen, and if quinoa is as awesome as everyone says, I'm willing to try it out (albeit seven years after it makes headlines).

So I did this weekend.

Given the "this may taste like cardboard" reservation, I decided to try it first in a prepared salad, to ease myself into the World of Quinoa.

It worked. If you're new to quinoa, try this (and don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list; you'll have most of it in your pantry):

Mexican Quinoa Salad
Serves 6 as a side, 4 as an entree

1 c. uncooked quinoa
2 c. chicken broth (or you can just use water)
1/2 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
3/8 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt, to taste
1 (16-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz.) can corn, drained
1 (2.25-oz.) can sliced black olives
1 large tomato, diced small
2-4 Tbsp. olive oil

  1. Cook quinoa according to package instructions (using chicken broth instead of water, if you'd like). Let cool.

  2. In a large bowl, mix together quinoa, diced onion, garlic, and lemon juice. (I let the crushed garlic clove simply flavor the lemon juice. I took it out before serving.)

  3. Stir into quinoa mixture the parsley and cilantro, seasonings, black beans, corn, olives, and tomatoes. Season with salt to taste.

  4. Drizzle the salad with olive oil just before serving, or on your single-serving plate. (I'd probably not drizzle any portion that may be leftovers; I think it might congeal in the fridge and be gross.)

This was so delicious with some grilled chicken, and I ate it for lunch as leftovers. I feel like a super-food super-hero right now. So. Much. Protein.

Have you already been on the quinoa bandwagon? Let me hear your favorite recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment