Tuesday, March 25, 2014

how to use the crock pot to your advantage when entertaining {loaded ranch potatoes}

Whether I'm entertaining one or fifteen, and whether those guests are family, friends, or strangers, these are my two rules for menu planning:

know your audience //  Don't serve caviar to the people who really just want a steak and potatoes.

allow one menu item to be a star //  Whether it's just a new recipe you're wanting to try out, or a go-to recipe that requires a little more effort, or maybe it's both of those things, pick just one item to be your "wow" factor.

Although the crock pot isn't glamorous, it is mighty functional, and I'm learning to use it to my advantage, even when company is over.

This recipe was perfect for friends who love traditional, southern fare, and it was also my one star menu item, because it was cheesy and indulgent (unlike the grilled chicken and steamed green beans that accompanied it).

Loaded Ranch Potatoes
Serves 4-6

1 bag of diced frozen hash browns
1 8-oz. container of cream cheese, softened
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of potato soup
1 packet Ranch dressing mix

  1. Spray crock pot with cooking spray, and place hash browns in the bottom.

  2. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, potato soup, and Ranch dressing mix. Spread evenly onto the top of the hash browns.

  3. Cook on low for 4 hours. Stir gently before serving. (I actually transferred the potatoes to a serving dish just before eating, so they were still warm. Or serve them straight from the crock if presentation is not a priority. Which is usually how I roll with my closest friends and family.)

* I think these could be pretty spectacular with crumbled bacon in there, and maybe some sliced green onions on top for a little pizazz?

* The original recipe called for double everything listed above, which I thought was crazy. I have a 6-qt. crock pot, and I'm not sure double all of that goodness would fit in there. Just fully disclosing.

* I also think the original recipe was called "Ranch Potatoes," but they tasted far superior, like the filling in twice-baked potatoes, which is, well, loaded. So I just named it myself. No harm, no foul.

And one final word of caution: don't even tempt yourself if you're shunning carbs. Don't. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment