Sunday, March 23, 2014

make new friends, but keep the old

When I lived in my tiny house in Starkville, it had a tiny dining room that called for a tiny table. I searched long and hard for the perfect tiny table, and I found it one day in a tiny store in a tiny town where Mr. Bobby and Miss Judy lived.

It was in the top floor of an antique store called Pear Tree Corner, and when I saw it in the middle of the junk pile, I knew it was mine to have. Mr. Bobby and Miss Judy took me back to their house, to let me think about it, but I didn't really need to think about it.

Miss Judy knew the owner, and even called her to negotiate the price on my behalf, because negotiating anything made me anxious. Still does.

I love my tiny table. I love it for all the meals I've shared  around it. And I love it because it holds sweet memories of Mr. Bobby and Miss Judy, and the tiny antique store in Eupora, Mississippi.

It has served me well, except that it's only capable of serving me and three more friends at a time, four if we squeeze.

About two years ago, I made the decision to begin the hunt for the next perfect table, since I have a little more space here, but knowing, of course, that I'd never say good-bye to my tiny table. It means too much!

Per usual, it took me every bit of the past two years to find him, but he's finally home. Want to meet him?

I love that he'll easily seat six or eight, with room in the middle for holding bowls and platters for guests to pass.



He's got this strong, masculine x-base underneath, right in the middle. That means no bruises on the knees. Or maybe sticking an extra chair on the corner in a pinch. Love that.



And his grain is so handsome. Natural and a little bit rustic. Worn and lived in, like a family's favorite picnic table.



My tiny table is repurposed in the guest bedroom for now, because I won't be parting with that sweet thing anytime soon.

But I expect this guy to be just as hospitable as my tiny table was, and provide a place where friends and family will gather, break bread together, and linger, with full bellies and happy hearts.

1 comment: