Monday, August 20, 2012

to carter, on the occasion of your first

"All the world is a birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much."
-- George Harrison



Dear Carter Christopher,

One year ago today, we were booking plane tickets and scrambling to meet you like crazy people, and our family has not stopped acting crazy ever since.

And to be clear, we are crazy about you.

You have this hair that's mysteriously red, and has stumped us all.  We have no idea from where it came, but it just oozes with vibrant personality.

Your eyes are striking blue, and they are saucer-big.  They perfectly and transparently communicate your glee, your curiosity, your good nature.  I suspect they will always be the open windows into your soul.

The outdoors is your happy place.  You are relaxed and content on a ride in your stroller, or in a swing.  The breeze on your face casts a spell on you like nothing else.

You know instinctively that laughter is right and good.  When we giggle, I think you like the idea that maybe you're the reason for it, and you work to keep the happiness flowing.  I hope you always believe that laughter makes everything better.

From the day you decided to show your face in this world, your mom and dad have simply been exploding with joy and pride over you, as they should.  Seriously, look at these faces:



For kicks and giggles, I asked their thoughts on a few questions:

I'd describe Carter's personality with these few words:
mom: Happy, friendly, and loving (like his daddy), and stubborn (like his mommy).
dad:  Amazingly happy, then curiously stoic in a matter of seconds.

The cutest thing Carter does that melts my heart every time is ...
mom: Smile and duck his head a bit, as if he is shy (we know better!).
dad: Hearing his belly laugh.

The un-cutest thing Carter does is ...
mom: Yell in the car for the sake of yelling.  He will promptly quiet if you sing to him, though.  Consequently, if I never have to sing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider," "She'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain," or "Wheels on the Bus" again, I would be okay with that.
dad: Flail himself backwards when he is sleepy or hungry.

Since having Carter, my favorite thing about him being a part of our family is ...
mom: That he allows us to see life through the eyes of a child again and appreciate all the small, wonderfully simple joys of life ... the wind in your hair, swinging on a swing set, laughing so much you can barely catch your breath.
dad: That he is the source of the greatest and funniest stories that Katie and I can't get enough of sharing with each other, and just laughing.

One time during the past year when I thought I was going to lose my mind was ...
mom: When he decided that 5:00 a.m was an appropriate time to start his day.  After many, many, MANY pep talks, he has reconsidered and now sleeps until at least 6:30! We never underestimate the power of a good pep talk!
dad: Spending one more night in the hospital after he was born.

I laugh every time Carter ...
mom: Raises his eyebrows and gives me his "big eyes" face.
dad: Stops what he's doing, leans to one side, and turns an intense shade of purple (you know what he's doing).

After his first birthday, I'm most looking forward to ...
mom: Seeing him walk and hearing him eventually say "Mommy."
dad: What he'll sound like when he talks to me.

You are their greatest treasure, Little Man.  They will be your biggest fans for as long as you walk this earth, and they will celebrate every milestone with you, no matter how big or small.  You can count on that.

In return, you have shown them how strong and capable they are, how they can survive on very little sleep (although they'd prefer not to), and how deeply they can love beyond what they ever dreamed possible.  You've taught them that love isn't a limited resource that has to be divvied up, but infinite and exponential in nature.

As for me, I am smitten with you.  I've always been excited for friends and family who've had babies, and I thought that I'd feel the same about you.  To my surprise, my love for you goes way beyond "excited."  It is uncontainable, and wild, and unprompted.  I try hard not to be that girl, who talks about you all the time, or flashes pictures without being asked.  But I confess, sometimes for a break in my day I will scroll through the latest pictures of you on my iPhone.  I just love seeing your sweet face.

We can't even remember what our family was like before you were here, and we don't want to.  You are just the greatest, and we love every minute of watching you grow into the one God created you to be.

Happy First, Little Man.  We love you a ton.

No comments:

Post a Comment