Sunday, August 19, 2012

let me google that for you

I can't stop thinking about this video we watched in church this morning.

It was based on this actual Google search: "Why are Christians so ..." followed by a single letter, prompting the words that most frequently complete that question in Google searches across the world.

Here are a few examples, to better illustrate:

Why are Christians so ...

arrogant
annoying
angry

or

closed minded
cruel

or

stubborn
selfish
self righteous
stuck up

or

unchristian
uptight
unhappy

and the one that hurt the worst,

unlike their Christ.

Go on.  Do that search on your own.  It's no joke.

A few years ago, I read unChristian, by David Kinnaman, and it was a turning point for me in my faith walk.  That's when cold, hard facts were staring me down, jerking my head out of the sand, and forcing me to accept the fact that we're doing a pretty lousy job of representing Christ.

When we were made in the image of God, it wasn't so that we would be like him (that's pretty self-centered, I'd say), but so that He would live in us, and so that we might bring Him glory as we carry out his purposes here on earth.

And so when we're arrogant, closed minded, self righteous, and unlike our Christ, that means we're not giving Him his platform, and that means the Google searches look the way they do.

Holy God, help me to better represent you and your character.  I confess I have failed miserably, but I also know you have overcome my shortcomings and will use even those for your glory.  And I love you for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment