Wednesday, April 8, 2015

i finally tried kale

The super foods.

I tell you, between my newfound love of quinoa, coconut oil, and now kale, I barely recognize myself.

This past weekend I made this taco skillet, which was a low-risk, non-intimidating way to ease into the kale craze. I also serve it over a bed of spinach and kale, so I pack in some extra nutritional something-or-other as a bonus. Or so they tell me.

Taco Skillet That Will Make You Feel Uber-Healthy
Serves 4-6

1 lb. ground chicken breast or turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, diced
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
1 can cannellini beans (aka, navy beans or great northern beans), drained
1 pkg. taco seasoning
3 c. chopped spinach and kale (I found a pre-mixed bag in my grocery's produce section)
salt and pepper, to taste
shredded cheese of choice, for topping
black olives, for topping
green onions, for topping

  1. Season ground chicken with salt and pepper, then brown in a Dutch oven, over medium high heat.

  2. Add onion and peppers until softened.

  3. Add canned tomatoes, beans, and taco seasoning, and stir to combine.

  4. Add greens and allow to wilt.

  5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

  6. Serve over a bed of mixed greens (more spinach and kale if you want to be like me) and top with your favorites. (The toppings are optional, but I recommend them!)

I've eaten leftovers for lunch twice now, and this is a solid reheater, too.

Try it. You'll feel healthier just by telling your friends the recipe has kale in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment