Tuesday, April 28, 2015

sibling love

I've been thinking so much about siblings lately.

I'm one of three.


And then there are these two new siblings in our family.


Recently my uncle turned seventy. There was a small surprise party, and a slew of family, both expected and unexpected, came to celebrate.

He was surprised.


All three of his siblings were there.


I love it when these four are together. They have such good stories from growing up. They laugh a lot. There's usually a corny musical break-out involved.

They're generally wonderful at celebrating each other, and enjoying time spent together. To have known that for as long as I can remember is such a gift.

On the road home, I reflected on these four. They are each different, of course, but I love their common thread. Beyond their memories, the laughs that erupt when they're together, and their singing, they share a beautiful undercurrent of a desire to help and serve other people. Their kids, their friends, their churches, their neighbors.

If siblings are ever meant to leave a collective legacy, based on some divine thread of DNA, I cannot think of a better one.

So for these three.


And these two.


I don't know what our legacies will be, as units. I'm not even convinced we have much control over it.

But I'm so glad for the inspiration from the generation before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment