Thursday, November 6, 2014

thankful thursday #205

When people ask me how long I've worked for my employer, and I answer them -- thirteen years, eight months, and six days today -- they usually give me a bewildered look.

I know it's a long time for a 36-year old. It's not how my generation rolls.

I take some pride in that, though, that I might be an exception to the rule. Because I don't love doing things the way everyone else does. And because I feel invested and loyal.

Our culture doesn't give time a chance anymore, but when you let it, I think time can grow love in a place. I'm grateful for a long time here, with good people and experiences and lessons and development.

A downside of this long time, of course, is that it's easy to develop blinders. To miss important nuggets in the mundane.

This past weekend at one of our games, a guest tripped and fell in our area of responsibility and showed frightening symptoms of a traumatic brain injury. I was given a new perspective on our work in hospitality, and how it's not all about making things shiny and new and happy (as awesome as that sometimes can be).

Here's what I wrote to our staff following my reflection:

Team,

On Saturday at the MSU game, there was a sobering medical emergency to which Meghan and her staff tended with the greatest care and timeliness. She has remained in contact with them over the past few days out of concern and genuine compassion … so kudos to her! The husband of our injured guest wrote her a sweet note (below for you to read) that gave me a unique perspective on hospitality, and how we practice it:

We place a lot of emphasis on ensuring our facilities are immaculate, television feeds are crystal clear, food presentation is unmatched, hot dogs are fresh (and hot!), and staff is smiling bigger than anyone else in the stadium. And those things are of utmost importance to create the very best environment we can for our guests.

On the other hand, what happens in those environments is often — and maybe more often than we’d like to admit — out of our control. We will never know when something frightening, uncomfortable, or downright tragic will occur. A guest is sick, or trips and falls, or misplaces a child, or gets some very bad news: These are times when our call to service and hospitality might have the greatest and highest impact on a person’s soul, because we’re called to care well for them at all times, especially when they are under duress.

I know these instances are anomalies, and frankly, I hope they remain as that. But what an opportunity for us when they do occur! Let’s remember that while we work hard to be a happy place and refuge, we’re also a place where we might be given the chance to care well for hurting people in a very specific time and place. Be prepared not only with a sound emergency response protocol, but with a readiness to extend mercy and grace in times of need. It’s a high calling!

Wishing everyone a great game week!

RLF

Thankful this week for a new perspective, even after thirteen years, eight months, and six days in the same company.

Any new epiphanies for you this week? Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment