Tuesday, November 11, 2014

some truths embraced of late

Sometimes my brain goes into overdrive with thoughts that I can't shake. Lately these are the truths hitting me right between the eyes:

you've got two choices: minister or manipulate // "In all of your relationships you're always doing one of two things: ministry or manipulation." Relationships at work, at home, or with friends are all opportunities to minister, and when you're not, it's necessary to be honest and ask if you're manipulating instead. This is a dagger, people. I can't stop thinking about it, and it's a nasty truth when I realize I'm in the latter camp.

it's remarkable how a good hair day can make me feel better // Annie looked to tomorrow's sunshine; I look to a solid hair styling day. I tell you what, on a day when not much else feels good, cooperative hair and low humidity go a long way for this girl.

"you're mine" might very well be the sweetest covering i've ever had // When I lived in Starkville, one of the father figures there who looked out for me would, every time me he saw me, put his hand on his heart, kiss me on the cheek, and tell me, You're mine. I swear that to this day, those might be the most affirming words I've ever been told. I felt claimed. So powerful. It makes me wonder if I use words to give life, and cover in grace, the people in my circles.

confessing sins against a person is awfully humbling // It is not fun to admit, and it's really not fun to deliver the apology. But when it's done with the intent to honor -- and to minister, not manipulate -- coming clean is beautiful freedom.

the best friends are the ones who bear burdens with you // They give hugs when you cry. They empathize with your wounds. They're the ones who sit and listen without spewing platitudes and cliches, and know that sometimes all you really need to hear is I'm so sorry. I know it hurts. And they feel the hurt, because they bear with you.

And finally, some truths are harder to embrace than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment