Saturday, December 14, 2013

a festive $12 salad

In the days this week sans wallet, my friends spotted me some cash. You know, so I could eat. Generous friends, I have.

Also during those days, I was invited to a dinner party to which I was to bring a salad. I was grateful to have that cash, but it had to stretch. I needed a salad that was festive, but one for which I had most of the ingredients at home.

This salad fit the bill and received rave reviews. I spent about $12 and 15 minutes to prepare it. Win!

Red & Green Holiday Salad
Serves 6-8

1-2 c. pecan halves or walnuts
1/4 c. granulated sugar

1 container of mixed greens (or spinach or arugula)
1 package of dried cranberries
1 container of Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 bottle of poppy seed dressing (I used Brianna's)
  1. In a nonstick skillet, heat nuts over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously so they begin to soften and smell delicious. Add sugar, continuing to stir while the sugar melts and coats the nuts. This should only take 5-7 minutes.*

  2. Spread candied nuts on a piece of wax paper to cool, breaking up the pieces so nuts are not in clusters.

  3. To assemble the salad, layer greens, cranberries, Gorgonzola and nuts. Toss with dressing just before serving.
* Alternatively, in place of white granulated sugar, you can melt 4 Tbsp. of butter and 4 Tbsp. of brown sugar in the skillet with the heated nuts. The nuts are equally delicious, but less crunchy. Pick your favorite.

'Tis the season for holiday parties. Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment