Tuesday, November 5, 2013

the granola where less is more

Back in February, I made this granola, which was tasty, but apparently not tasty enough for a second batch (yet).

But then I received this recipe from a dear friend, and it was worth trying because I had all the ingredients on hand. And it screamed fall to me.

And this one's so good, I'll be making a second batch in a few short days. Not even exaggerating about that.

Meghan's Granola
(because she sent it to me without a name and it deserves a name)

3 c. old fashioned oats
1/2 - 2/3 c. sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 c. sliced almonds
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 c. honey
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a microwave or in a small saucepan on your stovetop, melt the butter with the honey and salt. In a mixing bowl, toss honey and butter mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Spread onto a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool, and store in an airtight container.

* The recipe actually calls for unsweetened coconut, but sweetened is all I had. Maybe that's what makes it so delicious?

* I had closer to 1 cup of almonds, so I did increase the butter and honey amounts to 4 Tbsp. and about 3 ounces (you know, just a little more than 1/3 c.).

* There are a few good nuggets/clumps, but mostly this is loose. I suppose to get more bite-sized pieces, you could add more of the honey-butter mixture, or use less of the dry ingredients.

* Some folks like their granola extra-crunchy, so just keep baking away until it's perfect for you.

* I've eaten mine as cereal, as well as a mix-in with vanilla Greek yogurt, and it's divine. (And I like green grapes as my other mix-in. So. Good.)

Happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment