Sunday, November 17, 2013

all hail the sweet potato, part deux

Here are my thoughts on sweet potatoes.

The summary is this: I used to hate 'em, now I love 'em, and I'm always looking for sweet potato goodness in a recipe.

Try this one! It's so yummy. (And I made it up, so pretend like the name is clever.)

Maple Sweet Potatoes with Gorgonzola
Serves 4-6

3 lbs. of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2" pieces
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. EVOO
salt and pepper
1/2 c. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

  2. Place sweet potato cubes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle syrup and EVOO, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.

  3. Spread potatoes into a single layer on the pan. Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring once half way through, and redistributing back to the single layer.

  4. Sprinkle the Gorgonzola cheese evenly across the potatoes, and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the cheese barely melts. Serve immediately.

* Quantities are just guidelines. If you're needing to make more or less, plan for about 1 potato per person. And estimate the EVOO and maple syrup; I just drizzle evenly on the potatoes until it feels right. No need to be legalistic!

* Cooking times may also vary. Ovens differ, or you may like your potatoes firmer than I do. Let your nose guide you! Check them when they start to smell delicious, and go from there.

* I have what I call a magic baking pan, and NOTHING sticks to it. Ever. It occurred to me that this maple syrup may cause a problem, so you may try spraying your pan (although I think the EVOO should do the trick). No one loves to scrape burned sugar off a pan.

Couldn't you just eat your fall favorites every night?

No comments:

Post a Comment