Thursday, November 14, 2013

thankful thursday #156

On some Sundays growing up, when Dad was out of town and Mom was in the choir, I'd sit in church with a friend and her mom. To keep us occupied -- and quiet -- during the sermon, her mom would place a King James Version bible in each of our laps, open them to a seemingly obscure passage, point to the chapter, and in so doing, silently imply our instructions.

I distinctly remember feeling like I was reading a foreign language. Who is "Thou?" What are they sayeth-ing?

Some things change: These days, I don't typically read from the King James Version bible.

Other things never change: Sometimes I still feel like I'm reading a foreign language. No matter the translation, some of the words still trip me up, and for whatever the reason, I struggle to understand concepts that seem way over my head.

Fortunately, though, this path of following Jesus isn't meant to be traveled alone! I'm feeling grateful tonight for the people in my life who hash out the Truth with me, give me permission to ask questions, share with me their insights, and encourage me to keep digging for answers.

I bet you have people like that around you, too? Show them some appreciation this week. Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment